An 18th Century English cylinder by Mudge and Dutton in a gold consular case. Full plate fire gilt movement with signed dust cover. Pierced and engraved masked cock with diamond endstone in a polished steel setting, silver regulator disc. Fusee and chain. Plain three arm steel balance, blue steel spiral hairspring. Polished steel cylinder, large brass escape wheel. Winding through the white enamel dial, Roman and Arabic numerals, gold beetle and poker hands. Plain 22 carat gold consular case, gold button later gilt bow, maker's mark “PM”.
A rare chance to own a watch by this famous watchmaking partnership which is little changed from when from the day it was made. The cylinder retains the original Graham-type banking of a pin in the lower plug. Unusually for an English watch it is wound from the front. It is interesting to note however that the dust cover is still made with a collar for the winding square which was plugged before gilding. As the date of the case is correct for the number of the movement it seems that a “standard” movement was used when the customer required a consular cased watch. Thomas Mudge & William Dutton were both apprenticed to George Graham continuing the line of famous makers from the 17th Century. This example was made while Mudge was still an active in the partnership. He moved to Plymouth in 1770 due to ill health. Casemaker Peter Mournier who was most commonly used by Mudge and Dutton